Friday, July 20, 2012

The Stupids - Discuss (if you can)

We actually have a copy of one of the Stupid books in our store right now. Because of my exhaustion from the sale...


(pause)

THANK YOU TO ALL THAT CAME!!!! 
The sale was a big success. 

(resume)


...I can't actually get off the sofa to drive to the warehouse and then go to the scanner (etc.), so I will be lazy and use a Google images Image.


Do you know about these books? Do you have an opinion? I think there are two camps of people - Stupids Haters and Stupids Likers*. And unlike the Giving Tree (another post soon) I don't think that your camp tells much about your world view. I think mainly it tells me if you also laugh at fart jokes.** I am in the Stupids Likers category. However, as a first grade teacher I choose not to have these books in my room. And I wouldn't actually choose it as a read aloud. The word "stupid" is pretty loaded (for some 6-year-olds it is a curse word) and I think if you read this book with kids you do need to acknowledge that the word can be hurtful.

But, let me be the first to say, some things people do are REALLY STUPID. Like all of the dumb things the Stupids engage in throughout these books. And because they are stupid they are also funny. In addition, I love Harry Allard's other books, especially Ms. Nelson is Missing and the George and Martha books. So, I give him the benefit of the doubt and read the Stupids with an open mind.

How about you. Are you a Liker or a Hater?

*I do know one Stupid Lover http://allenspetnagel.blogspot.com/ though it has been several years since we discussed the Stupids in much detail.

**Fart-joke-laughers = Stupids Likers in case that wasn't clear.


2 comments:

  1. My children (aged 7 and 4) ADORE the Stupids and talk about them all the time as if they were people they really know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember many a night at the Spetnagels, reading the Stupids before going to bed. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete