Friday, July 6, 2012

And Who Doesn't Need a Pictorial Encyclopedia of Aberrant Behavior?




When I first held this book in my hands, I knew that it was destined for greater things. Obviously the cover photo is horrific and does a fantastic job of selling this book. There is no confusion about what might lie inside. If you buy this book you know for certain what you are getting. But, then I noticed something on the spine. This book is just the first in a...wait for it...Twenty Volume Set. That's right. Even in the good old days of 1973, there was enough crime and punishment to devote 20 full books to the subject. Or at least Robert G. Bartner of the Symphonette Press believed so. This volume itself features, among other topics, Kidnappers, Lady Killers, and Gangsters.

I wonder if these were sold like Britannica, door-to-door. I like imagining the salesman's dialogue:

Salesman: Hello, may I speak to the Lady of the house?

Women: [annoyed that the Salesman doesn't know that the cultural revolution is ongoing] That is me.

Salesman: As a Lady, have you ever worried about being a victim of a  Ladykiller? If so, I have an encyclopedia set that you need to read.

Woman: [interested, because we know these books were bought by someone or I wouldn't be blogging about it right now] How much?

Salesman: Only $19.99 gets you the first of 20 installments. You can cancel at anytime.*

Woman: Sold.

*Note: I recognize that I have mix up my door-to-door salesman pitch with my infomercial pitch. Sorry.

1 comment:

  1. That cover *is* scary. And 20 volumes?? For realz? LOL.

    ReplyDelete