Saturday, July 14, 2012

ABCs for Mummies


The Skull Alphabet Book by Jerry Pallotta and illustrated by Ralph Masiello is impressive in its scope. And some people really love this book on Amazon. I am not one of those people.

I get that Pallotta's book has a much older intended audience as compared to your more typical ABC book.* But, I just think the book is in poor taste. It could exist without being an alphabet book, for one thing. Secondly, it features a massive number of endangered mammals. I feel like the tone is a little like this:
Hey kids! Let's look at lots of pictures of dead animals, most of which are dead as a result of human causes! Yay, for dead things that are beloved.

A good example of this is:



The text reads
P is for...This skull is unusual. It has carnivore-type teeth, but the animals only eats bamboo. You can look right into the nasal passage and see where the sinuses were. 
Did you guess it?** To me, it feel a little bit like showing a kid the skull of his favorite grandma and asking the kid to notice where her lovely eyes used to be. I just can't get behind the enthusiasm for death. I bet though, the author of this blog*** might have a different take on things.

*One favorite ABC book of mine, by the way is Lois Ehlert's Eating the Alphabet:
**Panda.
***Check her out!

No comments:

Post a Comment